Built in 1906 by, and for, the miners and their families, Llanhilleth Miners Institute's original aim was to raise educational and cultural aspirations and meet the health needs of the community.
The Institute strives to remain a relevant, vibrant community building that meets the needs of a changing society, whilst serving as an important reminder of the Industrial Heritage on which Llanhilleth and its surrounding communities were founded.
Meeting the needs of our community remains at the forefront of our work and our keys aims include:
1) Providing a range of educational, cultural and recreational opportunities to promote health and wellbeing in all age groups
2) Acting as a resource where information can be accessed and where new skills can be learnt, enabling personal and professional development
Through successful applications and with the support of external funding bodies and Trusts, we provide a range of projects which enable individuals to:
- Improve their confidence and self esteem
- Gain new skills
- Improve their reading, writing and communication skills
- Improve their health and well-being
- Improve their chances of securing employment
- Take up volunteering opportunities
- Get involved in their community
- Undertake training
- Gain qualifications
- Increase their independence
We have achieved considerable success and involvement in our projects impacts positively on the lives of our participants.
"I am writing to express my sincere gratitude for the help, support and encouragement I have received from you and your team in the past year. I left rehab still insecure, unconfident and anxious. Getting involved in volunteering really helped my confidence and made me feel part of the Community. I didn't do much, mainly the monthly Luncheon Club.
Also, the educational courses helped me secure the job of my dreams which I never thought would be possible. I also use other services such as CAB and Post Office. And, of course, often frequent the café!
I just want you to know how much you have helped me. I think you're great!"
The income generated from our commercial activities goes towards supporting our many Community Engagement and Development activities.